Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Schnitzel Flu

Either you already know ALL about the soon-to-come pandemic swine flu, or else you live in a box 6 feet underground. Panic panic, WHO just increased from level 4 to 5!!

Well, as far as I can read, the increase from 3 to 4, meant that the flu can jump from person to person. The jump from 4 to 5 means that this has occured in at least 2 countries in WHO - Mexico and USA I guess? I already read the news about the USA case 2 days ago, so I guess this update is just a reflection of the fact that they now have tested and verified yesterdays news...

Did anyone reflect on these definitions from WHO compared to the numbers we are talking about? In Mexico city, a population of 26 million people, about 160 people have died of apparent swine flu, and 1 baby in Texas. The average yearly death toll of the USA from "normal" flu is about 35.000 people, in Denmark it is between 1.000 and 3.000 every 2 years...



Of course I do understand the concern of a flu that we can not yet vaccinate for, it kills young and healthy people and that *might* turn out to be really bad, so the WHO focus and concern is understandable. Still, it seems like the news reporters using the info from WHO, has not really understood what it means!? Looking at the facts I know I might be seen as the stupid guy in 1 year, after we have had a deadly pandemic, but so far I simply can not support the state of panic the world is in.

Take care of yourself anyway!! ;)

1 comment:

Mikkel Gram-Hansen said...

sker der aldrig mere i det der Mexico ?