Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tecoman project

Hi

Yep, I am still here, but working like a horse! That's why there has been very few updates as of lately. At the moment I am working in Tecoman, in the south of Mexico, where we have a very big project on a Danisco factory. The project is slightly delayed, and thats why I am here as an extra work force to try and catch up on the time schedule again.

I will be working here until i go to DK end of February, so there will probably not be so many exciting updates etc. I will however have time to travel a bit, and go to the pacific beaches roughly 10 km away :)

10 days ago I was a few days in Guadalajara - the 2nd biggest city in Mexico - and I liked it. One of the sub-urbs, Tlaquepaque, is a really famous place for artists etc. here in Mexico. I managed to spend a whole day looking at all the fantastic shops with all sorts of pottery, paintings, furniture etc. Really nice place, and dangerous for people with a shopping problem I would guess.

Yesterday I drove from Monterrey to Guadalajara, and then today further to Tecoman, so now we have a car here permanently for the project. I was a fantastic trip for me, a sort of ego-road-trip through the Mexican desert and mountains and villages etc. It took me about 11 hours, but I is a trip I will for sure never forget. Follow the description, and check it out on Google Maps.

I took a route that runs from Monterrey over Saltillo to Zacatecas and finally Guadalajara. Until Zacatecas it was more or less desert all the way, with loooong roads stretching into the horison, and mountains far away. Of course I managed to leave Saltillo with a quarter of a tank of gas. It is not exactly the smartest thing driving through a desert with no gas, no water and no signal on the mobile phone!! Fortunately, after what seemed like forever and many hundred kilometers, the big green Pemex sign popped up and I was saved.

After Zacatecas it became more hilly, and I think it took almost as long getting to Guadalajara as from Mty to Zacatecas. Still, the landscape was absolutely amazing, and I am glad to see there is another Mexico outside the big cities. All the small villages I passed through were really cozy, and people very friendly the few times I stopped for gas, food and water. I had lunch in the small village of Huanusco more or less halfway between Zapatecas and Guadalajara, just because when I was passing through it seemed like such a nice small village :)

One thing actually surprised me: The big roads are quite good in Mexico! For me the trip to Guadalajara was a walk in the park compared to eg. driving from Warszawa to Krakow.

I think the coming weekend will be a lazy trip to a beach, and then I can finally get some sun! In Monterrey I hardly get any sun, since the office is hermetically closed and sealed off, so only when going to the canteen do I see it. In Tecoman I am more fortunate, as I am doing lots of measurements and smaller projects around the factory, and the weater is constantly 30-35 degrees. It is really not the worst place to be, while the danish winter is raging... sorry for reminding you ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

La' nu være med at blive forbrændt denne gang:-) Det lyder som en rigtig spændende tur sydpå.