Saturday, March 7, 2009

Life on Mars?


The weekend after Cola de Carballo, the trip went to Cuatrocienegas - an oasis in the desert. The place actually holds many species only known to live there, because it is such an isolated ecosystem.

Basically, water trickles up from the underground and makes small streams and ponds in the desert. Of course, there is lots of grass and bushes so it is not so desert-like, but all around the desert looms.



The water in the small ponds is an amazing blue. I really think they go here to get the right colour, when doing beach resort commercials all over the world.

The small - and fragile - ecosystem was really amazing, with lots of fish and turtles moving around. Another strange thing was how quite it was there in the middle of nowhere. When avoiding the bus full of nuns, you could really only hear the water trickling in the streams and a slight breeze - very different from the constant noise pollution of Monterrey...

Oh, and I forgot to tell about the amazing drive there... We took a stop, asking for directions, and then forgot to turn on the lights when leaving. One minute later, I was pulled over by the police... they started doing the "normal" routine, threatening to take my drivers license combined with a hefty fine. After a little discussion, 40 pesos was enough. Yes, I am a bad boy! :P

Same trip, but later on, we went through a military checkpoint. Everything went fine, and after checking our car and luggage, we continued. 1 hour later at the hotel, I found out my danish phone is missing. Great drive there all in all... not!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeg synes pigen er pæn!

Men kan hun måske lave frikadeller? ;-)

Anonymous said...

yes, I can cook frikadeller, we had it for dinner yesterday :D

Sandra said...

Way to go Laura :-D

Thomas told me that you already know how to tell him to shut up in Danish, so I guess you are all set to go and ready to move to Denmark ;-)